Michael W. Basil
Michael W. Basil is a partner with Clausen Miller P.C., and is dual qualified as a lawyer in the United States and as a solicitor under the laws of England and Wales. He concentrates in U.S. and international commercial litigation, property disaster, loss recovery/subrogation and casualty practices.
Mr. Basil has represented a wide variety of parties in resolving commercial disputes and litigation. His experience spans many industries, including, power generation, chemicals, energy extraction, telecommunications, financial, aviation, heavy industry, commercial construction, transportation, warehousing, health care and pharmaceuticals, agriculture, hotel and restaurant, marine and transportation. He is a member of the Urban Land Institute and an affiliate member of the American Institute of Architects. He has been a lecturer in classes for architects and other design and construction professionals through the Construction Specifications Institute. He has an AV® Preeminent™ rating with Martindale-Hubbell indicating the highest ranking in legal ability and ethical standards as determined by his peers in the legal community.
Mr. Basil received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Political Science from the University of Michigan in 1990, received his Juris Doctor, with honors, from St. Louis University in 1995, and received his M.B.A. from Loyola University Chicago Graduate School of Business in 2001 with a specialization in Finance. While in law school, Mr. Basil served as a clerk for the Honorable Theodore McMillan of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and for the Honorable Gerald Cohn of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. He also served as an intern for the Missouri Attorney General litigation department.
Mr. Basil is an elected member of the Board of Trustees in his North Shore community of 25,000 people, and has been a leader in a variety of civic organizations and activities.
- M.B.A. Loyola University Chicago Graduate School of Business, 2001
- J.D. with honors, St. Louis University School of Law, 1995
- B.A. Economics and Political Science University of Michigan, 1990
- England & Wales
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Chicago Bar Association, American Institute of Architects affiliate
- Urban Land Institute
- The Law Society (England & Wales)