Matthew J. Van Dusen
Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2012
Matthew J. Van Dusen is an associate with Clausen Miller P.C., where he concentrates his practice in the handling of complex litigation, professional liability defense, and employment practices liability matters.
Summary of Mr. Van Dusen's legal accomplishments:
Successfully tried a New York State Workers' Compensation Board, Discrimination Unit, wrongful termination case pursuant to WCL §120 before Workers Compensation Law Judge Davidowitz (July 13, 2012) which resulted in a complete dismissal in favor of corporate defendant, dismissal upheld by three judge Appeal Board Panel (January 8, 2013). Goldstein v. POP Burger, DC Case No. 7800, (NYS WCB Appeal Board Jan. 8, 2013).
Obtained an order dismissing New York State employment discrimination complaint filed in New York Supreme Court, New York County and to compel arbitration before FINRA. Nissan v. Tejas Securities Group, Inc., No. 150637/2012 (N.Y. Sup. Ct., New York Cty., Singh, J., Nov. 13, 2012).
Successfully moved to dismiss a 15 U.S.C. § 1692d claim against a national debt collection agency in a proposed class action Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) matter. Jane Kinkade, individually and on behalf of all others similarly situated v. Estate Information Services, LLC, No. CV 11-4787 (AKT), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 144826 (E.D.N.Y. Sept. 28, 2012).
- Awarded summary judgment decision in favor of a public water authority alleged to have breached the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act. ("CUTPA"). Reported Decision: A-Right Plumbing, Sewer and Water Main Company, LLC v. Aquarion Operating Servs. Co. et al., 282 Conn. 612, 922 A.2d 1084 (2007).
- Obtained summary judgment for his financial services clients in a $75 million Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act ("RICO") and Investment Advisers Act ("40 Act") action. Decision: Luzerne County Ret. Bd. v. Makowski, No. 3:CV-03-1808 (ARC), 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 87246, 2007 WL 4211445 (M.D.Pa. Nov. 27, 2007).
- He also achieved a summary judgment decision in favor of a public utility that was accused of a race-related employee termination. Reported Decision: Lyte v. S. Cent. Conn. Reg'l Water Auth., 482 F. Supp. 2d 252 (D. Conn. 2007).
- Was granted a successful motion to strike decision, which resulted in the ultimate dismissal of a class-action suit, which alleged numerous constitutional violations against a large Connecticut city.
- Drafted and argued a motion to strike, which lead to the dismissal of breach of fiduciary duty and consumer protection law claims asserted in conjunction with a legal malpractice claim.
Mr. Van Dusen earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from the University of Central Florida in 1999. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Quinnipiac University School of Law in 2003, where he graduated cum laude and was a member of the school's Moot Court Honor Society. While in law school, he competed his way to the semi-final rounds of the 2003 Domenick L. Gabrielli National Family Law Moot Court Competition and also received his school's Outstanding Legal Scholar and Outstanding Performance in Oral Advocacy Awards.
Mr. Van Dusen has been honored by Super Lawyers, Metro Edition, as a 2012 New York Rising Star.
- J.D. Quinnipiac University School of Law, cum laude, 2003
- B.S. University of Central Florida, 1999
- New York
- New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- District of New Jersey
- District of Connecticut
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals