John P. Startin
John Startin is expert at dealing with cross border disputes and conflicts of law issues. He primarily handles major property and energy losses and subrogation. Sample assignments:
• Advising EAR insurers of methanol plant on subrogation claim for damage caused by design errors in reformer vessel.
• Advised international reinsurers on coverage and settlement of USD multi-million loss at a steel plant in South America.
• Acted for international property insurers in ICC arbitration of subrogated claims against manufacturer of defective machinery at a major UK manufacturing plant.
• Advised London market reinsurers on coverage for USD multi-million claim arising out of salt water contamination of steam turbine in power station in Far East.
• Advised US and UK insurers on coverage for a USD multi-million claim for damage in a landslide at limestone quarry in USA.
• Represented North American and London insurance markets over seven policy periods in underwriting and coverage dispute with the insured arising from the alleged subsidence of a major warehouse facility in the North of England.
• Acted for EAR insurers in a multi-jurisdictional dispute with their insured in relation to an advanced loss of profits claim arising from the delayed start up of a methanol plant in the Caribbean.
*Partner of Clausen Miller LLP
- B.A. Oxford
- 1977 England