John P. Startin
John Startin specialises in insurance and reinsurance, conflict of laws and cross border disputes, international arbitration and commercial litigation. John is currently or has recently handled assignments in Europe, North America, South America, Caribbean, Far East and Middle East.
Recent and current matters include:
• Representing London market reinsurers on underwriting and coverage issues involving multi-million US$ claims arising from machinery breakdowns in a port terminal in South America.
• Advising insurers on subrogation recovery for multi-million Euro fire loss in hotel in Italy.
• Representing international insurers in coverage dispute over multi-million US$ claim for hurricane damage to construction project in Caribbean.
• Advised international insurers on coverage for flood damage to high-tech manufacturing facility in Tropical Storm Lee.
• Represented international reinsurers over several policy periods in successful defence in arbitration of US$ multi-million claims for a series of tube failures at a petrochemical plant in the Middle East.
• Acted for international property insurers in successful arbitration of subrogation claims against a Continental European engineering group arising from a fire and machinery breakdown at a major manufacturing plant in the UK.
• Represented an international market in relation to the settlement of a US$ multi-million loss at a steel plant in South America.
• Advised London market reinsurers in relation to a SG$ multi million claim arising out of salt water contamination of a steam turbine in Singapore.
• Advised international reinsurers in relation to multiple losses under a programme covering a major US power generator.
• Advised a Lloyd's syndicate on coverage for US$ multi-million contingent business interruption claim by South American rail company.
• Advised international insurers on coverage for a multi-million US$ claim following a landslide at a quarry in USA.
• Acted for EAR insurers in the successful defence in arbitration of a US$ multi-million advanced loss of profits claim arising from the delayed start-up of a petrochemical plant in the Caribbean.
• Represented North American and UK insurance markets over seven policy periods and multiple layers in successful resolution of an underwriting and coverage dispute with the insured arising from the alleged subsidence of a major warehouse facility in the North of England.
*Senior Partner of Clausen Miller LLP
- B.A. Oxford
- 1977 England